We didn’t create Bold Penguin because commercial insurance is broken. It isn’t. But as the world has gotten more connected and digitized, commercial insurance lags behind—creating a fragmented landscape where businesses, agents, and insurance companies struggle to interact in a smooth and easy way. That’s why we’ve built a highly efficient exchange that cuts the friction out of commercial insurance by connecting everyone to the right quote in record time.
Powering the world of insurance is no small feat, so we’ve brought on a team that's not only incredibly talented but also passionate about our potential to upgrade the entire industry. As more and more companies big and small depend on our technology to operate in the commercial insurance space, we’ll need the best talent all around to support our growth. That’s why we’re looking at you (yes, you!) to make a bold move and join our adventure.
As a Cloud & Site Reliability Engineer, you will be a subject matter expert in building highly reliable, highly scalable features and infrastructure. You’ll use DevOps principles to ensure that Bold Penguin’s software systems are always available and ready to scale to meet growing demands.
Click here to learn more about DevOps on the glacier
What You’ll Do
- Ensure the reliability, performance, and availability of our platform by working as part of a cross-functional product team
- Participate in agile ceremonies such as iteration planning, retrospective, and daily standups
- Be part of the shared on-call rotation and proactively research possible issues affected the availability of our platform
- Understand and clearly articulate tradeoffs in architecture decisions with regards to cost, security, operational efficiencies, performance, and availability
- Build and maintain infrastructure with executable code (IaC) and automated delivery pipelines
- Be passionate about Cloud/DevOps/SRE concepts such as Immutable Infrastructure, Cattle vs Pets, Infrastructure as Code, Delivery Pipelines
Skills & Qualifications
- Deep, hands-on expertise with AWS Cloudformation and other Infrastructure as Code tools
- Experience with Amazon Web Services; specifically EC2, ECS, ELB, CodePipeline, RDS, Redshift, S3, IAM, and Lambda
- Ability to articulate Cloud & DevOps concepts to a variety of technical & non-technical team members
- Bonus points for expertise in implementing security & compliance frameworks such as SOC/2, NIST 800-53, and NIST 800-171 especially in Amazon Web Services
- Bonus points for AWS Certifications
- Bonus points for familiarity with microservices architectures, Ruby on Rails and/or ETL tools such as Fivetran.
- Experience working at technology companies and startups desirable
- 2-4 years + of working remote, full time, and/or with full time co-located teams across different time zones.
- Full-stack expertise in multiple tiers of modern web applications (e.g. front end, back end, infrastructure, etc.)
- Open-source contributions and/or speaking experience.
- Previous work experience in insurance and/or experience with policy rating very desirable.
- You love Penguins! ;P
TRAVEL TO THE "GLACIER" (please read)
- We are firm proponents of "seeing eye to eye by meeting face to face". As such, our remote team travels in once a quarter for a full day of collaboration, goal setting, team building, etc. Are you able to make this work? In addition to this we also ask that, if hired, you are able to make the first week onsite for onboarding/training.
- For a healthy colony.
- Our plan covers 50% of your Medical Premiums – Health - HRA, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, as well as Short & Long Term Disability (Trust us, the benefits are great!)
- Penguins plan for the future.
- 401k Match program, up to 4%!
- Parental Leave
- 16 weeks of parental leave (your kids need you there!)
- Need a vacation?
- Unlimited PTO - Please take a vacation - you need it and we applaud it and in fact we require you take 10 days off!
- Hungry? Thirsty?
- We offer free snacks and drinks, as well as catered lunch every Monday (even to our remote employees...nomb nomb nomb)
- Penguins need to learn!
- We support your professional growth. Certifications, training, memberships, and conferences are actively encouraged—and often covered.
- Penguins are social creatures and love to play!
- We have frequent happy hours, company events, and outings. What kind of company would we be if we didn't have some fun!?!?
- Penguins give back.
- We offer volunteer opportunities every month! There is no better feeling than giving back =)
- Don’t want to move to Columbus?
- We offer up to 100% remote engineers!
- You must be OK visiting the office for a day or two every quarter - we are all about that camaraderie!
Penguins believe in inclusion. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer that considers all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, beak size, or inability to fly.