We didn’t create Bold Penguin because commercial insurance is broken. It isn’t. But as the world has gotten more connected and digitized, commercial insurance lags behind—creating a fragmented landscape where businesses, agents, and insurance companies struggle to interact in a smooth and easy way. That’s why we’ve built a highly efficient exchange that cuts the friction out of commercial insurance by connecting everyone to the right quote in record time.
Powering the world of insurance is no small feat, so we’ve brought on a team that's not only incredibly talented, but also passionate about our potential to upgrade the entire industry. As more and more companies big and small depend on our technology to operate in the commercial insurance space, we’ll need the best talent all around to support our growth. That’s why we’re looking at you (yes, you!) to make a bold move and join our adventure.
About the Role
Engineering Managers work as part of a cross-functional product team to build & launch products that remove the friction from commercial insurance. You’ll lead and manage a team of first-class software developers that will rely on you to ensure their decisions and work have the full support of the company. Your users will be commercial insurance agents and insurance carriers who will use your work every day to efficiently provide commercial insurance for small business owners.
What You’ll Do
- Direct the work of a group of software engineers to ensure best practices and healthy cultural norms around software development.
- Ensure that teams are staffed to meet objectives; actively participate in the recruiting and onboarding of new software engineers to meet growing demands.
- Embody best practices and good work habits; mentor team members on engineering concepts such as unit testing, TDD, continuous integration, and linting.
- Coordinate complex technical activities, define high-level milestones and track progress towards objectives in conjunction with Product Managers.
- Mentor Tech Leads on your team and participates in the design and development of complex software, through all phases of the software development lifecycle.
- Lead and participate in code and architecture reviews.
- Facilitate lunch and learns to cross-train, and professional development
- Be a hands-on leader who can write & test code, review features, and direct the technical activities for 4-10 other engineers.
- 4 years + of working remote, full time, and/or with full time co-located teams across different time zones.
Skills & Qualifications
- An ideal candidate would be highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Previous technical leadership or management experience in technology startups.
- Firm grasp of DevOps, Agile, Unit Testing, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, Code Quality, Cloud Architecture, Microservices, and Docker, and Single Page Webapps
- Previous experience working in the insurance industry, especially commercial insurance.
- Previous experience working in high-growth tech startup companies.
TRAVEL TO THE "GLACIER" (please read)
- We are firm proponents of "seeing eye to eye by meeting face to face". As such, our remote team travels in once a quarter for a full day of collaboration, goal setting, team building, etc. Are you able to make this work? In addition to this we also ask that, if hired, you are able to make the first week onsite for onboarding/training.
- For a healthy colony.
- Our plan covers 50% of your Medical Premiums – Health - HRA, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, as well as Short & Long Term Disability (Trust us, the benefits are great!)
- Penguins plan for the future.
- 401k Match program, up to 4%!
- Parental Leave
- 16 weeks of parental leave (your kids need you there!)
- Need a vacation?
- Unlimited PTO - Please take a vacation - you need it and we applaud it and in fact we require you take 10 days off!
- Hungry? Thirsty?
- We offer free snacks and drinks, as well as catered lunch every Monday (even to our remote employees...nomb nomb nomb)
- Penguins need to learn!
- We support your professional growth. Certifications, training, memberships, and conferences are actively encouraged—and often covered.
- Penguins are social creatures and love to play!
- We have frequent happy hours, company events, and outings. What kind of company would we be if we didn't have some fun!?!?
- Penguins give back.
- We offer volunteer opportunities every month! There is no better feeling than giving back =)
- Don’t want to move to Columbus?
- We offer up to 100% remote engineers!
- You must be OK visiting the office for a day or two every quarter - we are all about that camaraderie!