Headquarters: Orlando, FL
Dentistry Brands is seeking an experienced, driven writer with an emphasis on the healthcare sector to join our team as a digital content writer.
About the Job
You’ll help us review content, create content yourself, and optimize already written content. This includes evergreen pages, blog posts, and other content pieces. Over time, you will create a large backlog of content for multiple WordPress sites in the addiction, dental, and vision sectors.
You are expected to take difficult and complex topics and figure out ways to convey them in conversational, yet authoritative, ways to online audiences. Our properties are designed to rank well on search engines. Although, this is not an SEO writer position.
While reviewing content, you’ll help us maintain a strict set of formatting and quality guidelines by providing feedback to various freelancers. Additionally, you’ll help us transfer content from Google Docs to WordPress and ensure the content reads and looks beautiful. You’ll also go through our backlog of content to ensure high readability and SEO scores are achieved and maintained.
We have a small team managing multiple online properties. Because of this, we have structures in place to manage projects. Automation is built into every aspect of the tools we use, so being able to self-teach and learn these tools quickly will help everyone on the team.
Here are real tasks that have recently been completed by writers. This will give you an idea of what the job entails:
Writing / Self-Editing (75 percent)
- Your main responsibility is to create high-quality content on a daily basis, mainly in alcohol and drug addiction verticals. All evergreen pages, blog posts, and content pieces are held to a high standard. Depending on the topic, each piece should be between 800 and 1,500 words (more or less). Although, we always prefer quality over quantity.
- Depending on the content topics you are assigned, we expect at least 3 to 5 well-written articles within the first two weeks. After that, you should be writing 5+ pieces per week. We understand that some articles take longer to write than others (this is just a rough estimate). Our team is always communicating on Slack, so if your content is going to take a bit longer than expected, just keep us in the loop!
- All of our writers follow specific writing guidelines. During your first few weeks, our content manager will help you get up to speed with formatting, headers, SEO, competitor research, how to cite correctly, and so on.
- All content pieces must be backed by current and reliable research. This includes scientific journals, medical books, textbooks, and other reliable online sources. You can also use Google Books to find any free information. Please refrain from citing sites such as Wikipedia, any competitors, and poorly designed websites.
- You are expected to triple check your work for any errors before submitting it for review. This helps keep our content cycle fast-paced.
SEO/WordPress (15 percent)
- Even though your main responsibility is writing, we also need your help with SEO and WordPress organization. This includes overseeing YOAST readability (sentence structure, active voice, incorporating keywords correctly, transition words, etc.) and maintaining high SEO scores for published content in WordPress. Our content manager will teach you how to use all of these tools during your first few weeks. Although, if you are familiar with some or all of them already, that’s a huge plus.
- You’ll also be responsible for updating menu bars in WordPress, formatting each page correctly, and adding graphics to posts before publication. This includes working with designers to create beautiful on-page designs to engage readers.
- Other on-page SEO tasks may include interlinking, creating H1-H6 tags correctly, writing meta titles/descriptions, creating permalinks, and keyword research
Reviewing (10 percent)
- Once you get the hang of our voice and style, you’ll help in the editing process. This includes providing guidance on grammar, sentence structure, overall tone, and SEO. We hold all of our freelance and in-house writers to the same exceptionally high standard.
- You’ll also create and manage tasks for in-house writers and freelancers using the company’s project management system. This includes assigning content pieces to various writers and tracking stages in both Trello and UpWork.
We’re looking for a candidate with some experience in writing (SEO writing experience preferred). We will help you grow and become proficient in our writing style. However, you fundamentally have to be a good writer.
While a degree in the writing field is preferred, it isn’t necessary. It’s a major positive if you’ve worked as a freelance writer, as you probably already have the time management skills and are somewhat familiar with remote work.
You might have familiarity with some of the tools we use (GSuite, Trello, Wordpress, SEMrush, Ahrefs, Google Analytics, and a few others), but we can train you easily if you aren’t.
With this being a remote job, the ideal candidate for this position is amazing at time management. Our team subscribes to the notion of “deep work,” which means we want you to turn off all notifications, put your head down, and work. We measure people on outputs, not inputs. So, no one will be looking over your shoulder and making sure you do the work; we’ll only be reviewing your output.
We want friendly people who are fun to work with (expect Giphy battles in slack), but can also give and receive feedback - we’re all here to get better at what we do. You can expect us to be very available when you start, both on Slack and in Google Hangouts, to help you understand the job and “marching orders.” However, once you understand the job, we will stay out of your way so you can complete whatever it is you need to.
Perks of the Position
This is a fully remote position, meaning you can work from wherever you want. We understand the importance of work-life balance. So, we want you to work about 8 hours a day, but we don’t want you working outside of these hours or on vacations. We want some work time overlap, but if you want to take a day off during the week and make it up on a weekend or holiday... it’s up to you. Specific benefits:
- $40-50k/year starting salary, depending on experience.
- 401(k) reimbursement.
- Health Insurance.
- Paid sick/vacation leave.
- Company bought MacBook (if you have a computer you work on already, the company can provide other home-office items)
- Yearly company-paid meetups.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to the email listed. If you meet the qualifications above, the next step in the process includes a short writing and SEO test. Then, if you are selected as a finalist, you will go through a two interview process. The first is with our Digital Content Manager and the second is with our founder.
To apply: email@example.com