Are you a cloud computing, automation enthusiast and DevOps devotee? Can you help us grow with best-of-breed open source tools and managed AWS services, and join us in embracing state-of-the-art cloud best practices? Do you want to work with an increasing portfolio of cloud technologies, as part of a growing progressive organisation?
Development Platform is part of our Platform Engineering group. Our team mission is “Make FreeAgent developers' lives better!" The engineering teams are our customers. Productive, happy coders with great tools write great code and deploy daily adding constant visible value to our business. We aim to keep them that way.
We provide the CI/CD capability and developer tooling that enables our engineers to build, test and deploy quickly. We're also helping migrate FreeAgent to AWS, to an exciting container-driven future.
We need software developers with passion for Continuous Development, Continuous Deployment (CI/CD), Ruby software engineering, DevOps and knowledge of AWS Cloud Computing. We want people familiar with cloud native approaches, cloud automation and container technology, who have a constant desire to keep learning and who have real hands-on experience. You’ll be part of our ongoing journey, enabling our growing engineering team to ship code and services to production over 300 times a month.
FreeAgent is undergoing a re-engineering project to move into AWS. This is an opportunity to join us at an early stage and be part of design, transition and adoption conversations and really make an impact.
Day-to-day, you’ll be making an impact by:
- Supporting the smooth running and uptime of our current CI/CD Jenkins pipeline
- Develop our groovy pipelines and libraries, automating more of the daily grind and speeding development.
- Helping migrate FreeAgent to AWS, containerising our apps and services using Docker, and delivering additional strategic and ongoing CI/CD capability.
- Working on developer tooling, including Devkit, our internal developer toolkit and parachute, our deployment tool, both written in Ruby
- Ensuring our apps and services run on the latest version of Ruby
- Helping engineers with their day to day deployment and dev platform issues
- Digging deep on technical issues identified up by the developers.
- Helping your team plan, estimate and deliver projects – we put an emphasis on writing culture and ask engineers to document what they've created to expand our collective knowledge
- Contributing new ideas and sharing what you've learned by talking at our weekly Engineering Forum
- Continually expanding your knowledge of both our business and technology domain. We have the resources and we give you the time to learn!
- Developing and applying your mentoring and leadership skills
Apps we use: GitHub, Trello, G Suite, Notion, Miro
We look for:
- Knowledge and experience of developing and maintaining web applications
- Experience of running continuous integration and deployment systems
- Attention to detail. We value people who believe a job worth doing is worth doing right
- Pragmatism; being committed to getting things done while understanding tradeoffs
- A high level of self-motivation and self-awareness
- A commitment to ongoing self-development, improving both technical and soft skills. If you have the commitment, we can provide opportunities for you.
- Strong communication skills. Being able to write well and articulate your thoughts are great skills to have in any business.