HOMER has a newly created opportunity for a Senior Content Engineer to join our growing team! This role will be a remote position.
HOMER, a BEGiN brand, is the proven early learning program that provides the best educational start possible. We offer personalized, fun, and proven learning products for kids ages 2-8 to help build confidence, mastery, and a love of learning. We are deeply committed to our members and to their children, and we are building a creative and strategic team to develop a portfolio of early learning products that support learning everywhere.
Reporting to our Content Engineering Manager, the Senior Content Engineer will primarily contribute to the software design and development of our content management and delivery systems among other related tools and services. As a member of the Content Engineering team, you will often serve as a technical liaison between our content creators (designers, animators, and learning specialists) and client-side engineers that build our portfolio of applications.
- Make direct technical contributions (writing, debugging, reviewing and deploying code).
- Provide technical guidance and feedback to your team members on a team distributed in several time-zones using agile project management methodologies.
- Contribute to technical design and architecture of applications, and participate in larger system design efforts.
- Build automated tests and help maintain existing test suites.
- Demonstrable expertise designing and building fullstack NodeJS services and complex frontend applications.
- Experience bundling frontend applications with technologies like Webpack
- Experience in multi-environment deployment strategies for microservice applications.
- Sound Computer Science fundamentals (Bachelor’s degree in CS or related field preferred).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience (or undergraduate degree in Computer Science and 3 years of relevant work experience).
- Familiarity with modern application frameworks and languages including TypeScript, React, Redux, and GraphQL.
- Familiarity with best practices in API design.
- Familiarity with a variety of datastore technologies (i.e. Redis, MongoDB, Elasticsearch, Postgres).
- Familiarity with Infrastructure as Code technologies (i.e. CloudFormation Template, terraform, ansible).
- Familiarity with container technologies (i.e. Docker), and experience setting up CI/CD solutions that containerize web applications and automatically deploy to various environments.
- Experience working with offshore or distributed teams, and familiarity using communication tools like Slack.
- Interest in innovations in web technologies and familiarity with many media types that power rich multimedia experiences.
- HTML5 game development experience with pixiJS, phasor.io or similar 2D game engine a plus. Experience with Spine or other 2D animation technologies a plus.
We like people who:
- Collaborate effectively with stakeholders and other team members (product managers, UI/UX designers, engineers, animators, illustrators, data scientists and others) to define and refine requirements and then execute on them.
- Have the ability and are willing to switch programming languages as necessary.
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset and know how to balance speed to market and elegance in technical design.
- Are passionate about and thrive in a culture of learning and teaching. You love challenging yourself to constantly improve, and sharing your knowledge to empower others.
- Care about solving big, systemic problems. You look beyond the surface to understand root causes so that you can build a complete and long-term solution for the whole ecosystem.
- Want to be part of an organization with a transparent and agile environment where you can communicate freely and openly.
What you’ll get:
- HOMER offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits.
- Smart, passionate, and engaged co-workers.
- Excellent top-tier Medical/Dental/Vision benefits.
- The chance to have a big impact, quickly.
- Help bring a love of reading and learning to children globally!
HOMER is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. HOMER does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.