Headquarters: United States
Web Design Intern
Part-Time (Up to 15 hours/week) • Starts ASAP, 3 months with a possible 3-month extension • Competitive Pay ($25/hr) • Work from anywhere in the continental U.S.
MoveOn is a diverse and vibrant community of millions of people working together to create progressive change in America. We are an innovative campaigning organization that supports people throughout the country to take action through driving impactful campaigns that change the behavior of people and institutions, influence the outcomes of elections, and expand the realities of what’s possible. We organize to challenge entrenched power while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice and a vision of a country in which everyone can thrive.
MoveOn has a particularly important role to play in the Trump era. We are working to defeat Donald Trump and the GOP in 2020 by building a powerful, multiracial, and economic populist movement that will give voters something to vote for, not just against—and we're also working to defend communities that are on the front lines of Trump and GOP attacks, including immigrants, people of color, the LGBTQ community, and women. In service of that mission, in 2020 and beyond, MoveOn will drive impactful, movement-connected, multichannel, nimble campaigns aimed at impact.
MoveOn’s Web Design intern will play a key role in supporting impactful campaigns through creating excellent user experience and design across our digital tools and websites. Work alongside MoveOn’s Product team to ideate, create, and implement digital designs that lift up progressive values, defend vulnerable communities, and mobilize millions of members and volunteer leaders.
- Work with the Product team to conceptualize thoughtful, original design ideas that incorporate MoveOn member feedback and improve digital experiences
- Design and style pages, elements, prototypes, layouts, and interfaces consistent with MoveOn’s branding library
- Create and implement design changes for A/B testing on web pages and email
- Using industry-standard apps, test web pages for functionality across browsers, resolutions, and devices to check designs and ensure a consistent experience
- Deliver design assets in an organized manner consistent with MoveOn’s existing component library
- Assist in usability studies for prototypes, as-needed
Required skills and experience:
- Design skills:
- Proven work experience in graphic and/or web design in a professional environment
- Proficiency in visual design and wireframing tools, such as Adobe Photoshop and programs such as Sketch, Adobe XD, etc
- Ability to incorporate diverse and sometimes conflicting feedback into the design cycle and explain the purpose behind design decisions
- Knowledge of best practices and trends in design, particularly for mobile, accessibility, and email
- Empathy for users and ability to creatively solve problems through design, including familiarity with the UX research process
- Technical skills:
- Proficient in HTML/CSS and basic knowledge of PHP to build the front end of your designs while working with a team of software engineers in a variety of environments.
- Experience or interest in conversion rate optimization
- QA Experience including user acceptance, compatibility, and accessibility testing
- Experience or interest in learning MoveOn’s suite of web tools, including WordPress, ActionKit, and Optimizely
- Experience with WordPress plugins such as Elementor and GA is a plus
- Experience or interest in SEO is a plus
- Professional skills:
- Self-directed with effective time management skills and proven ability to juggle multiple projects at once
- Strong attention to detail, from design to technical implementation
- Ability to be effective in an organization whose team members all work remotely
Reports to: Product Director
Classification, Salary, and Benefits:
Part-time (up to 15 hours per week), $25 per hour, and $175 monthly toward cost of cell phone, internet, and office expenses; home office subsidy also provided. This position is part-time and not eligible for benefits.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
To apply: https://grnh.se/2178c00b1