Want to help connect the restaurant industry's leading platform for digital ordering to millions of hungry customers?
The Core Ordering engineering team at Olo is the centerpiece of Olo’s product offering, facilitating millions of online orders from thousands of restaurants. We build and maintain APIs for custom built front ends, add functionality to meet needs in various front ends, perform asynchronous background processing and bookkeeping. We spend a lot of time finding the edges of our system’s capabilities and move them further out in a constant effort to keep ahead of our rapid growth.
As Engineering Manager, reporting into the Director of Engineering of the Ordering Group, you will lead a team of talented engineers in the day-to-day development of new platform services and frameworks. At Olo we value outcomes over output, and seek a leader who can help us understand the broader needs of our product engineering teams and deliver solutions to meet those needs. You will help develop and align the team’s vision, guide their execution, remove impediments to the team’s progress, and coach them to develop and grow both their skills and impactfulness. You will foster a culture of collaboration, communication, accountability, skill sharing, belonging, mutual respect, and curiosity.
This is a full-time position. Candidates may work at Olo’s headquarters in New York City’s Financial District, or remotely from anywhere in the U.S. In fact, more than 75% of our engineering team is remote!
What You’ll Be Doing
- As a servant leader, your focus will be on facilitating strong team outcomes
- Recruiting, hiring, and developing a team of highly skilled engineering talent
- Responsible for ensuring core systems can support the growing demand of our customers and business priorities
- Collaborating and guiding the design and the development of core software
- Monitoring and reviewing engineer’s progress related to development goals
- Working in partnership with Product, executive stakeholders, and the greater Engineering teams to deliver results
- Provide coaching and counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, etc.
- Leveraging our tech stack rooted in .NET (C# and F#) and SQL Server running in an AWS infrastructure and modern software engineering tools such as GitHub, TeamCity, Octopus Deploy, Datadog, and Sumo Logic, as well as heavy use of OSS
What We’ll Expect From You
- A passion for computing that extends beyond work
- Extensive software development experience with a progression to a senior technical level
- Solid Engineering management experience under an Agile operational model.
- Demonstrated ability to build and mentor a high performing team while seeking continuous improvement
- Ability to translate business priorities into viable technology solutions, and deliver
- Experience in, and good understanding of, large scale, highly performant, distributed systems architecture and principles
- Experience developing realistic project plans, managing stakeholder expectations, and tracking team execution
- Experience instrumenting, deploying, and monitoring production code to enable timely incident detection and response
- Adept at writing unit tests and testable code, and working under distributed version control (preferably Git)
- Experience managing distributed teams consisting largely of remote engineers
- BS degree in a technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Excellent English writing and verbal communication skills
- Legal right to work in the U.S.