Headquarters: San Francisco
An opportunity to join a fast-growing startup as one of the first employees. You will help grow our engineering team to expand our product and services. This remote-work role is a great opportunity that includes building new functionality on top of complex and large scale systems and continuing to optimize the processing of terabytes of data and millions of dollars that flow through our deployments every day.
We are looking for a special person who is equally comfortable with both A) helping to design and architect new UI features and backend services, as well as B) critical thinking about how business rules and strategies map to distributed technical flows. This person will play a crucial role on our small and friendly team and you’ll report directly to one of the founders.
Your job will involve:
- Work with other team members to help design, architect and implement features that expose new business insights to our customers and help them manage their Amazon ad spend more efficiently
- Maintain the integration and exchange sizable data sets with a business API of one of the largest tech companies on the planet, as it matures and adds functionality
- Debug and fix bugs, analyze performance issues and optimize our data processing pipelines to keep up with our growing customer base
- Continuously evolve our internal processes and workflows, to help us stay both nimble and dependable as we grow our team
- Shepard your code changes through testing and deployment while working with our application support team on monitoring the system and collecting metrics
Our user base is global, concentrated in the US and Europe. As one of the first employees, opportunities for learning and growth abound for you to grow in the direction you want.
- Required: 2+ years of experience architecting, implementing and deploying front-end applications and/or backend services
- Required: Experience with day to day maintenance and debugging of a distributed application, ideally dockerized microservices
- Disciplined personal development process and familiarity with the standard tools like git and Jira
- Aware of standard security best practices and conscious of information privacy issues
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Experience with and comfortable working remotely
- Self motivated and curious, all-around good human
- Interested in understanding and optimizing complex systems
- Independent worker, good judgement and decision-making
- Experience with large scale systems, e.g., terabyte-size data stores, tables with hundreds of millions of rows, millions of messages consumed from queues is a plus
Experience in at least some of the following technologies is required:
- Java, Groovy or other JVM languages, ideally exposure to the Spring framework
- Relational databases, ideally PostgreSQL
- Caching Layers and Strategies, ideally memcached
- Key/Value stores, ideally Redis
- Messaging queue systems, ideally exposure to SQS
- Pub/Sub notification systems, ideally exposure to SNS
- Cloud computing platforms, ideally AWS
- Serverless architectures or cloud functions, ideally exposure to AWS Lambda
- Infrastructure management services, ideally Cloudformation
We have a supportive, empowered, friendly company culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. We care about ourselves as whole people, not just workers. Benefits include:
- Independent work in a supportive and friendly team
- Remote work - work from home or wherever you work best
- Competitive salary
- Financial support for coworking membership and setting you up with an environment in which you work most efficiently.
- Excellent health, dental, vision, life insurance
- Paid trips to San Francisco to work with the team (2-3x/year)
If this role sounds like you, please send us your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are the right fit for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your cover letter be sure to specify exactly how you meet the requirements of the role defined above in the “About You” section. This helps us filter through many applications to find yours! We look forward to meeting you!
To apply: email@example.com