Headquarters: London, UK
SNOMED International is hiring a back end Java Developer, joining the all-remote team developing open source products that provide the universal language of healthcare globally.
We offer a significant intellectual challenge and substantial learning opportunity, gaining transferable skills at the forefront of knowledge representation, description logic, linked data and the semantic web - all of which you may learn with us.
We're building open source software and web applications that ultimately benefit quality of life for the millions of people whose healthcare service provision relies upon the accurate, standardised, medical vocabulary of SNOMED CT and its ecosystem of tools; https://github.com/IHTSDO
We'll help you to understand our domain, products, roadmap and ecosystem - with ample mentoring, training and certifications along the way. You'll find us to be a welcoming, multicultural and highly supportive team, which understands remote working.
We take daily standups and you will be exposed to all aspects of our stack. Once up to speed, you can soon contribute fresh ideas and substantial new code around any of; distributed applications, ontology management tools, data visualisation, scalable microservices and web solutions that serve a global community.
Java is our main language to do this; we're language-agnostic, developing an evolving technology stack and you may join projects that build upon your strengths.
Upcoming projects in the team
- Advancing the software that implements the far reaches of mathematics and computer science to produce the terminology which is the most comprehensive machinable representation of healthcare knowledge
- Analytics, applying Elasticsearch to demonstrate healthcare outcomes
- New web and data tools to aid implementation with adjacent healthcare ecosystems
We're looking for
- Someone who is a self-starter, and who relishes structured autonomy
- Adaptability, openness to change, and pragmatism
- Adept with Java - accrued in a modern web application development context
- A grounding in - or ready to learn - developing any of: REST APIs, data-intensive back ends, microservices, or designing for deployment into AWS/cloud
- 1st or 2.1 Computer Science-related degree, or equivalent foundational knowledge
- Appreciation for open source, clean code, testing, good documentation and knowledge sharing
- Someone seeking junior or mid level remote Java jobs such as: Java Software Engineer | Java Developer | Back End Software Engineer | Back End Developer etc.
Our current ecosystem - we'll help you get up to speed
Java, Spring Boot | Angular | Agile, TDD | Ansible | Jenkins | AWS | Git | MySQL | Atlassian suite | AWS RDS Aurora | Elasticsearch | ontologies and description logic | AI and real world data
Salary and benefits
- £35,000 – £50,000 or equivalent (initially, due to funding structure, a two year contract)
- 25 days paid holiday + bank holidays | discretionary home office setup assistance | laptop | expenses
- Personal development plan, with budget | time out for conferences and workshops
- Technology certification | SNOMED courses and certifications
SNOMED International is a non-profit clinical terminology standards organisation with 40 member countries worldwide. We seek to improve the health of humankind by fostering the development and use of suitable standardised clinical terminologies, notably the SNOMED CT product, in order to support safe, accurate, and effective exchange of clinical and related health information. The focus is on enabling the implementation of semantically accurate health records that are interoperable. Joining SNOMED, where remote working is embedded in our culture, you can enjoy the right mix of autonomy, challenge and ability to shape and influence your role as a valued team member. www.snomed.org
Located: preferably within the UK, Germany, or Denmark - with regular expensed trips to London for team meetings
Start date: asap, by summer 2020
SNOMED International encourages you to be in touch with Vittora at techfolk, our recruitment partner for this position, to apply or to find out more:
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must be eligible for employment in the EU without requiring employer sponsorship - we are unable to consider applicants that don't already hold the necessary work permit for employment in the UK.
To apply: http://bit.ly/2xjfYj1