Headquarters: Vancouver, BC
Are you an experienced DevOps Engineer with a passion for mentoring, guiding, and managing high-performing teams? Do you have strong development capabilities and comprehensive knowledge of systems, operations, and their future directions? Does the idea of joining a fast-paced, rapidly growing company excite you? If yes, read on!
As a DevOps Engineering Lead, you will work closely with our Engineering and Product Management teams to guide and mentor a team of 4-7 people to deliver infrastructure improvements and tools into the stack while balancing technical and project needs. Additionally, you are expected to be up to date with the latest trends and technologies in production infrastructure and tooling, in order to ensure that best practices for quality software development and testing methodologies are followed. You will work with the Architecture team to ensure that business requirements that have been turned into technical requirements become technical specifications, and work with your team to clarify and implement those specifications.
In this role, you will:
- Engage in recurring 1-on-1s with team members and support their development through regular coaching and mentorship
- Prepare and execute annual performance reviews and 6-month check-ins for team members
- Work as an individual contributor in our devops workflow
- Help engineers get their work done by supporting the team with blockers and continually looking for ways to improve team efficiency
- Review implementation plan with the team
- Work within KanBan to establish timelines for the completion of the project and facilitate technical estimation by either doing technical estimation directly or supporting a team member’s effort
- Triage incoming bugs and tickets for the team and ensure triaged BATs get into sprints
- Be on call for support (rotating, low-impact shifts)
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Have a minimum of 5+ years of experience in a production engineering or devops role, with at least 2+ years leading others
- Have at least 1+ year of experience working remotely for a SaaS/tech company
- Demonstrate a track record of being accountable for technical projects with an understanding of how to make projects successful
- Be comfortable and have experience giving feedback on performance to others
- Have experience working in a cloud-native architecture on a platform like AWS, Google App Engine or Azure
- Have a practical understanding of deployment pipelines and testing frameworks
- Know how to work with CI tools such as Jenkins, CircleCI, and others
- Have experience working with container technology such as Docker and/or others
- Believe that writing tests as part of a feature is not just a nice to have, but necessary
- Be comfortable using Git and related tools like GitHub, GitLab and so on
- Have experience with relational databases, SQL and engines like PostgreSQL and MySQL
- Demonstrate expertise with web application architecture and web server technologies like Apache, Nginx, and ISS
You might be the person we’re looking for if you:
- Have project management or SCRUM experience
- Read our How we build at Thinkific blog and are excited about how we work, Blue Sky Week and the challenges we are solving for our customers
- Have working experience with build tools such as Webpack and npm scripts
- Have experience creating, maintaining and deploying applications to AWS - Cloud Computing Services
Bonus points if you:
- Have previously worked for a SAAS-based startup
- Have experience working with container technology such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Are comfortable with Golang and Rails Engines
We’re about the results of online learning and the people along the way! Thinkific is a software platform that enables entrepreneurs to create, market, sell, and deliver their own online courses.Our mission is no less than to revolutionize the way people learn and earn online by giving them the tools they need to turn their expertise into a sustainable business that impacts both them and their audience. We believe in meaningful, innovative work: we're building and expanding an incredible product that empowers course creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn and succeed together. Together, we’ve served over 40,000 course creators and more than 10 million students, and these numbers are growing each day!
Why we think you’ll like working with us:
- Be part of a team of incredibly talented, passionate, and driven people focused on building and innovating on a best-in-class learning platform
- Make an impact with your work—each person has an equal opportunity to contribute to our goals and every day, we get to see how Thinkific is empowering both course creators and their students
- Join one of the fastest-growing companies in Vancouver and find opportunities to grow in your own career—offering advancement opportunities for our team members is important to us!
- We are lucky to have team members working remotely with us for over a year, so you’ll walk into an established system where you’re supported to be productive and successful
- We make sure you always feel included and have opportunities to build meaningful relationships with your team, whether that’s trips to Vancouver to solidify those connections, meet and greet with new team members by video, taking a remote-first approach to meetings or ensuring you have lunch provided for our team-wide events!
- Contribute to Thinkific’s award-winning culture—we’re one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and a certified Great Place to Work!
- We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision coverage, and an Employee and Family Assistance Program to support the wellbeing of you and your family
- Get additional health and wellness support through a lifestyle or health spending account to put your dollars where you need it most
- Enjoy our open vacation policy and flexible work environment, because we know the importance of having a great work-life balance
- Learn and Grow is one of our values and we take it seriously, providing opportunities through lunch and learns, training, workshops, mentorship, and our $1500 education allowance
- Grow your career AND your family at Thinkific—you’ll be taken care of with our parental leave top-ups as you add to your family
- Work with the hardware you’re most comfortable with, and upgrade or replace your system when you need to with our technology bonus
- Help you get the equipment you need to set-up a home office where you can do your best work
- Be confident bringing your whole self to work—we’re proud to be an inclusive company with a diverse team and values grounded in ethics and equality
- Thinkific welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome you!
This is an incredible role for the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
To apply: https://www.thinkific.com/careers/job-post/?gh_jid=4659581002&gh_src=8a3597f72