Visual Lease is looking for a talented, hands-on, Senior Database Engineer to join our engineering organization. In this role, you’ll work with our cross-functional Engineering team, and our industry experts to design and build powerful, yet easy to use web-based SaaS applications. You will follow and promote the latest technology patterns and best practices. You’ll also directly support our move to a microservices architecture. This change, along with our move to Amazon Web Services (AWS), will involve a schema redesign and a move from MS SQL Server to Aurora PostgreSQL.
The Senior DB Engineer candidate is a well-studied, influential technologist. He/she has C# and/or Python development skills with STRONG backend experience. The ideal candidate will have the proven ability to learn complex application business logic and design needed database structures. This exciting role is positioned to make an enormous impact on our technology roadmap, and have a strong voice and influence within the engineering team.
What You Will Do
- Acts as our database subject matter expert and develops the vision for our database architecture
- Responsible for the performance, scalability and security of database architecture
- Documents our current and future relational database structure, making changes needed to best support a microservices architecture and leveraging AWS services
- Develops migration tools and oversees the migration of data from MS SQL Server to Aurora PostgreSQL
- Provides key input on schema design for future reporting considerations
- Provides hands-on support to both: development teams with database needs for new features, and operations teams with database scripts and utilities
- Mentors engineering team members around modern database architecture principles, and lead by example with developing optimal relational database structures and queries
- Works with the Operations team to monitor, analyze and tune application performance
- Lends support for database-related incident tickets for investigation and resolution
- May develop microservices in C# or Python to interface with database ORM
- Follows software engineering standards and best practices. Perform code reviews
Skills & Competencies
- 6+ years’ experience with database design, development and maintenance in a Cloud SaaS environment
- 2+ years’ experience with Postgres (Aurora Postgres preferred) in production
- Experience with large-scale data migration projects
- Experience with designing high performing reporting schemas
- Experience with database design in a microservices architecture (without functions and stored procedures)
- Experience implementing data solutions with AWS is highly desired
- Knowledge of multiple embedded or cloud-based analytics tools is highly desired, such as: MicroStrategy or TIBCO Jaspersoft
- Experience with data warehousing, data modeling, and multidimensional data models is helpful
- A solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and OO Design with fundamentally strong programming skills in Python, C#/.net
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Computer Science or related field with 6+ years of engineering experience
- Self-starter with excellent communication skills, influencing, and follow-through skills
- Intellectual curiosity and an ability to collaborative support multiple Scrum teams in a fast-paced, iterative product development environment
- Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Why Work at Visual Lease?
We have a passion for simplifying the complex. Our lease accounting and lease administration software helps companies manage, analyze and report on their leased asset portfolios. Loved by more than 700 major companies worldwide, our cloud-based SaaS platform embeds decades of lease management and financial accounting expertise.
Over the last two years, our employee base has seen significant growth. Voted one of NJ’s Best Places to Work, we are looking for driven, innovative and passionate team-players to help us continue this journey and bring us to the next level.
Visual Lease is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Visual Lease is a background screening, drug-free workplace. Full-time positions offer a competitive benefits package and salary commensurate with experience.